Saturday, April 3, 2010
It's amazing how things that make you feel proud change once you become a mom. I used to be motivated by sales and keeping clients happy... now I get excited by changing dirty diapers and the number of times Lucy eats during the day.
Here are some other things I feel accomplished about as a mom:
1. Sleeping when Lucy is sleeping - the first night we brought her home from the hospital, I was too scared to fall asleep, I kept thinking something might happen to her if I shut my eyes... now I feel much more comfortable and am able to rest well with her by my side!
2. Leaving the room - I'm finally making use of the baby monitor and actually feel ok jumping into the shower while Lucy is sleeping (granted I make the shower extremely short and check on her as soon as I get out, but hey... I'm making baby steps)
3. My fat baby - Lucy started out at 8lbs 6ozs and went down to 7lbs 11ozs when we brought her to her first doctor appt. The doctor wanted to make sure I fed her frequently to get her back up to her birth weight so these first weeks at home with Lucy have been all about eating! We went to the doctor yesterday to make sure she is bulking up and I'm happy to say she is a whooping 8lbs 11ozs - she had gained 12 ounces since our last appointment!
4. Getting 5 hours of sleep - since Lucy finally gained her weight back (and then some) the doctor said I could now let her sleep a little longer through the night. She said to set my alarm for 5 hours, but that Lucy would probably wake up around 3.5-4 hours to eat. Last night was our first night trying this out, I set my alarm for 5 hours and of course my little angel slept the whole time! We got so lucky... Lucy loves to sleep! She didn't wake up until I starting changing her diaper and messing with her to get her to eat.
5. Mommy/Baby outings - after taking Lucy to the pediatrician on my own, I felt brave enough to take her to Target the next week. My time was limited (there's no telling when my little tyrant will wake up and demand food) but we made it to the store, shopped and back home with no crying!
6. Lucy's first bath - we gave Lucy her first real bath this past week and she loved it, unfortunately she was a little fussy once we took her out so I didn't get a good picture, but will take one next time!